Lists in Template Roles?? Options/Objections/Solutions?

Moderators: Keith Willshaw, Andrew Prosser and Adrian Laud
Andrew.Prosser

Lists in Template Roles?? Options/Objections/Solutions?

#1 Post by Andrew.Prosser »

The Geometry SIG need to be able to represent Lists as the Role Range for geometry templates. The lists are varied in length, not all homogenous in terms of type. What are the options, Constraints, Objections to lists as Role Targets for templates??? (See the Geometry Model Clarification Document, available from SIG members) for details.

HansTeijgeler

Re: Lists in Template Roles?? Options/Objections/Solutions?

#2 Post by HansTeijgeler »

Hi Andrew,

From my talks to Duhwan Mun I guess that it would be better to use EnumeratedSetOfClass. See http://15926.org/templatespecs/CL-SHAPE-06.xml

Regards,
Hans

KeithWillshaw

#3 Post by KeithWillshaw »

HansTeijgeler wrote:Hi Andrew,

From my talks to Duhwan Mun I guess that it would be better to use EnumeratedSetOfClass. See http://15926.org/templatespecs/CL-SHAPE-06.xml

Regards,
Hans
Well we need an ordered list for our purposes so my thoughts were to use MultidimensionalObjects

From Part 2 we see that its defined as follows

A <multidimensional_object> is an <abstract_object> that is an ordered list of <thing>. The significance of the <multidimensional_object> is determined by being a member of a <class_of_multidimensional_object> that indicates the role played by each of its elements.
NOTE The <multidimensional_object> [A,B,C] is different from [B,C,A].
EXAMPLE [32, 1.8, 20] is a <multidimensional_object> that may be specified to be the input parameters for the function y=a+bx to convert 20 Celsius to Fahrenheit.

Examples of such lists we would need are

1) List of Part3 Geometry in a symbol (2D or 3D)
2) Ordered List of piping components in a piping network segment
3) Ordered List of co-ordinates for a polyline or curve
4) List of Chemical Components in a Process Stream

Not all of these need to be ordered lists but some definitely do.

Keith

HansTeijgeler

#4 Post by HansTeijgeler »

Since a Part 7 template is a MultidimensionalObject, you might as well design templates for those purposes.

vvagr

#5 Post by vvagr »

Modelling of unordered lists as ESOC is obvious. To form the list we just need template ClassificationOfClassWithEnumeratedSetOfClass (but current http://15926.org/templatespecs/CL-CLSIF-01b.xml is not good for that bacause of hasUrClass role which is not used in our case).

Unfortunately I don't understand how to declare MO in template language. As well as I can see, no FOL representation of EXPRESS LIST is defined by Part 8 (see P8 on page 8: All EXPRESS
native datatypes except LIST shall be represented as unary predicates.
and below).

There is another aspect to this problem: use of OWL List will make datasets significantly smaller compared to template representation.

Therefore some extension to P8 is required to define use of OWL Lists in declaration of entities.

HansTeijgeler

#6 Post by HansTeijgeler »

Hi Victor,
To form the list we just need template ClassificationOfClassWithEnumeratedSetOfClass (but current http://15926.org/templatespecs/CL-CLSIF-01b.xml is not good for that bacause of hasUrClass role which is not used in our case).
Is your case such that you can guarantee that your template will NEVER change?

What exactly would that case be?
Therefore some extension to P8 is required to define use of OWL Lists in declaration of entities.
There is no OWL List. Again: what exactly is your problem?

vvagr

#7 Post by vvagr »

Is your case such that you can guarantee that your template will NEVER change?

What exactly would that case be?
I'm talking here about entities which represent geometry objects, like point sets or vector sets. Persistent identity is not required for them, as well as I can understand, therefore no need for Ur-Entity.

Sorry for a mistake, List is indeed an RDF construct.

The problem we are discussing here is to define an ordered list in the template language in a way which allows P7-compliant expansion resulting in MOs.