Structures for the publication of TIPs

KeithWillshaw

Re: Structures for the publication of TIPs

#21 Post by KeithWillshaw »

vvagr wrote:This parameter will resolve the problem, but I can not see it in the model. More then that, such third role is completely unnecessary. In templates existential quantifier (or Scolem variable) is used to hide exactly this type of unnecessary data items. Why do we return them into patterns?
In this specific case I think the production of a function object of type EXTERNAL COATING and its identity is overkill
This may be appropriate for a plant maintenance system where the coating is subject to inspection repair etc but if
all we are concerned about is the color and/or specification of the coating this can be handled by simple classification
using members of ClassOfClass PROTECTIVE COATING CLASS

In the real world you normally maintain a coating specification for the piping and equipment items
on the project and point to that specn. In ISO 15926 terms this truly is a CLASS rather than
an individual.

Typical Standards include:

EN 10288 Steel Tubes and Fittings for Onshore and Offshore Pipelines - External
Two Layer Extruded Polyethlene Based Coatings

EN 10289 Steel Tubes and Fittings for Onshore and Offshore Pipelines - External
Liquid Applied Epoxy and Epoxy-Modified Coatings

EN 10290 Steel Tubes and Fittings for Onshore and Offshore Pipelines External
Liquid Applied Polyurethane and Polyurethane-Modified Coatings

Keith

Andrew.Prosser

#22 Post by Andrew.Prosser »

The use of existential quantifiers limits the expansion capabilities when using multiple tips per object. for example if I have two related properties mapped to tips I cannot deduce after expansion that the pieces of information are in fact related if existential quantifiers are used. The use of explicit ids puts the responsibilities onto the application to make such statements.

Additionally there is also no way after expansion to identify those objects that have persistent ids and those that are expanded using existential quantifiers.

I therefore don't see their use as an option for my applications

vvagr

#23 Post by vvagr »

Had you met the next big guy on SW block - http://www.w3.org/TR/json-ld/

It is designed to express patterns.

Andrew.Prosser

#24 Post by Andrew.Prosser »

I can't see how json-ld helps the discussion on representation of nulls and existential quantifiers in TIPs. I can't take the approach to nulls specified by json-ld since that property is treated as not present if null and that has different semantics. If null is given as an identifier I also can't just make them up since as stated before there is no way to know what ids are genuine and which are just random placeholders.